• They are extending the deadline for the Solar Pageant scholarship opportunity to May 30, 2019.

• All senior grades are due on Wednesday, May 22nd. The last day for seniors is Thursday, May 23rd.

• Any girl intersted in running for Greene County Fair Queen 2019 should turn in their applications before June 1st!

• The reading competition will take place on Tuesday, May 14th. Members will be out of class all day.

Benefits of Being A High School Athlete

Back to Article
Back to Article

Benefits of Being A High School Athlete

(Photo Credit Via 2019 Jefferson-Morgan Yearbook Staff)

Madison Kovach, Editor-in-Chief

Playing a sport requires a lot of time and energy. Some people may think this would distract student-athletes from schoolwork. However, the opposite is true. Sports require memorization, repetition, and learning — skill sets that are directly relevant to class work. Also, the determination and goal-setting skills a sport requires can be transferred to the classroom.

Watching your hard work pay off and achieving your goals develops self-confidence. Achieving a sport or fitness goal encourages you to achieve other goals you set for yourself as well. This can be both a rewarding and exciting learning process.

“I started playing volleyball when I was in 7th grade,” said Jefferson-Morgan student Jessie Wei. “At first it was all for fun and because my friends did it, but at the same time I was juggling many honors and advanced classes. I would say that because of me adding in volleyball to my heavy circle it boosted my self-confidence because I knew if I could do all this, I could do just about anything,” added Wei.

Clearly sports can help you reach your fitness goals and maintain a healthy weight. However, they also encourage healthy decision-making such as not smoking, not drinking, and doing any other things that may seam harmful to yourself or those around you. Sports also have hidden health benefits such as lowering the chance of osteoporosis or breast cancer later in life.

“Before volleyball the only physical activity I was able to achieve and fit into my busy schedule was dance,” said Wei. “Volleyball really helped me shape my physical health as well as my mental. At practices I am able to get in running, different body workouts, I am able to build my muscle by going through different motions and doing lot’s of serving and spiking.”

Sports are also known to help teach teamwork and problem solving skills. Fighting for a common goal with a group of young players and coaches teaches you how to build teamwork and effectively communicate to solve problems. This experience is helpful when encountering problems at work, school, or at home.

Wei added, “As a kid I was always such an introvert. I kept to myself and if I was thrown into a group with lot’s of other students I tended to keep to myself and never added much ‘teamwork’ to those around me.”

It stands to reason that if you have to work with a team of people as well as spend time listening to someone give you directions and execute those directions, your social IQ is going to go up.

“Volleyball has helped me make some of my best friends; Payton, Madison, Randi, and Autumn,” said Wei. “Without sports I truly do not think I would have as many friends as I do because I always kept to myself at home and at school. Volleyball brought me out of my tight shell and taught me it is okay to work with other people,” added Wei.

Sports will always be apart of high school in one way or another and will always have benefits whether it is inside or outside of school!

Madison Kovach, Editor-in-chief

Madison Kovach is a junior and a third year Journalism student.

Kovach is a member of the school's Library Club, Drama Club, Art Club, Leo Club, and...

• Benefits of Being A High School Athlete

Feature Stories 2019

Prom Dress Shopping

Feature Stories 2019

GCCTC’s Only Female Welder is JM Student

Feature Stories 2019

What is it Like to be a First Time Blood Donor?

Feature Stories 2019

Out of High School and into Real Life

Feature Stories 2019

Performance: The Link Between Sports and Academics

Feature Stories 2019

Why Blood Donation is Important

Feature Stories 2019

The History of Prom

School Spotlight

Lady Rockets Make it to Quarterfinals

Showcase

Jefferson-Morgan Competes at Greene County Reading Competition!

Showcase

Rockets Win First Playoff Game Against Rochester

Benefits of Being A High School Athlete