• They are extending the deadline for the Solar Pageant scholarship opportunity to May 30, 2019.

• All senior grades are due on Wednesday, May 22nd. The last day for seniors is Thursday, May 23rd.

• Any girl intersted in running for Greene County Fair Queen 2019 should turn in their applications before June 1st!

• The reading competition will take place on Tuesday, May 14th. Members will be out of class all day.

Delaying School Start Times

Nick Cyphers – Contributor

More stories from Nick Cyphers

(Photo Credit via Flickr)

(Photo Credit via Flickr)

Have you ever wished that school would start later? Many students and teachers have or at least considered it in the last few decades. Sleep is what keeps humans moving and alive. The more sleep we have, the better we function. Almost everything is better when you have gotten adequate sleep, so there is no reason to want less sleep.

One thing teenagers always need is sleep. Many students are up around 6-7 AM to get ready for school. Teenagers need at least 9 hours of sleep to feel rested throughout the day. This will also result in better mental, physical, and emotional health. That will also lead to better grades and participation. They also need to make sure that they get enough of it, but with school needing them to get up before 7 AM it is quite hard. If a student needed to get 9 hours of sleep and wake up at 6 AM, they would need to go to bed at 9 PM. This is difficult considering that there are tests to study for and homework to be completed. Some students hold jobs or participate in activities after school giving them few hours to relax if that.

Some people may argue that starting school later is a bad idea because that means that school will also let out later. This seems to be the only con to the idea, but there are way more pros than cons. Letting out one hour later is also not that terrible, since students would be able to get out early for sports, clubs, or work if necessary. Students are also less likely to take a nap right after school since they would be less tired than usual. This would result in more productivity.  

If schools would start their classes one hour later, students and teachers would find it easier to get enough sleep for the upcoming day. Starting at a later time has many pros. Sleep is the most important for teenagers and they definitely need it at this stage in their life. Waking up later also means that it is brighter outside which usually makes it easier for most to get up in the morning. If students feel better in the morning, they might also be more likely to eat breakfast which will give them even more energy until lunch rolls around. If necessary, students can get some homework or activities done before school starts because they will be slightly more awake.

Schools need to delay their start times after thinking about it for all of these years. There are too many pros to pass up and not enough cons to make anyone ignore the topic. Sleeping is very beneficial to everyone but even more so for teenagers. Sleep is a necessity that affects all aspects of life and without it students are not at their best.

Nick Cyphers, Contributor

Nick Cyphers is a junior and a first year Journalism student

Cyphers participates in baseball, National Honor Society, and Leo Club

Cyphers enjoys...

• Delaying School Start Times

Editorials 2019

Students Should Be Able To Leave Campus During Lunch

• Delaying School Start Times

Editorials 2019

Bullying Needs to Be Taken Seriously

• Delaying School Start Times

Editorials 2019

Vegan Based Cafeteria Options Should be Offered

• Delaying School Start Times

Editorials 2019

Electives Needed For Life After High School

• Delaying School Start Times

Editorials 2019

New Grade Scale is A+

• Delaying School Start Times

School Spotlight

Lady Rockets Make it to Quarterfinals

• Delaying School Start Times

Showcase

Jefferson-Morgan Competes at Greene County Reading Competition!

• Delaying School Start Times

Showcase

Rockets Win First Playoff Game Against Rochester

• Delaying School Start Times

Editor's Corner

Lifting As A Student Athlete

• Delaying School Start Times

Showcase

Senior Banquet to be Held in the Auditorium

Delaying School Start Times