• The last day for for seniors is Thursday, May 23 2024.
  • There is a two hour early dismissal on the 24th for Memorial Day.
  • Graduation takes place on May 30th at 7:00 PM at Stanley Fowler Auditorium.
  • The last day of school is May 30th. Students are dismissed at 10 AM.
  • Close out all obligations before the last day of school: cafeteria, library, computer, and textbooks!
  • The first day of school for the 2024-2025 school year is August 21, 2024.

Chasing Thrills

(Photo Credit via Laurel Highlands)

Has the thought ever crossed your mind on why people have the desire to be scared? Or why they enjoy going to haunted houses, haunted hayrides, or similar attractions during October? There’s a reason for it actually, and it all deals with psychology and biology.

Whenever our bodies perceive danger or a threat, fear is the automatic response. Being afraid causes our body to release adrenaline and oxytocin, alongside some other hormones. They’re there for us to cope, otherwise known as our fight or flight response. Humans have been this way since the dawn of time, but now we have evolved to wanting to experience that adrenaline rush in a safe environment. People like to seek out fear in their lives in a fantasy way for this reason. They know that they’ll be safe long term, but they need the moment where their brain forgets. Marvin Zuckerman, known for his research into the psychobiological basis of humans, coined the term “sensation seeking.” People who enjoy scare attractions could be considered sensation seeking. In simple terms, it is someone who goes out of their way to find experiences and intense situations.

And with that, now you know the basics of why we crave the feeling of fear. For more information on the psychology behind fear, visit Cornerstone Psychological Services, or look into Zuckerman’s book over sensation seekers.