• The last day for for seniors is Thursday, May 23 2024.
  • There is a two hour early dismissal on the 24th for Memorial Day.
  • Graduation takes place on May 30th at 7:00 PM at Stanley Fowler Auditorium.
  • The last day of school is May 30th. Students are dismissed at 10 AM.
  • Close out all obligations before the last day of school: cafeteria, library, computer, and textbooks!
  • The first day of school for the 2024-2025 school year is August 21, 2024.

September’s Scary Scarecrows

(Photo Credit via Pxfuel)

We are just days away from the official fall season, and with that said, scarecrows are going to start popping up again. Now, what is the purpose of these scarecrows?

First of all, a scarecrow is a human-like mannequin placed in a farm to scare birds away. They are usually seen wearing farmers and/or old clothing and are placed on sticks to seem taller. Crows and sparrows are the two main birds that tend to damage farmers’ crops, so they are the main purpose of these scarecrows. Over time, scarecrows have evolved more and more and became more advanced. Some have even become more mechanic and electronic now, with a few spraying gas to warn off birds. Scarecrows have proved they work quite well, although some birds might just perch on them. This leads on other birds and makes them realize that they are not real people. It’s the reason why some farmers are becoming more technical with their scarecrows and also coming up with other mechanisms in place of the widely-famous phenomenon.

Overall, scarecrows are mainly a fall event. They scare off birds from farmers’ crops and they also look pretty cool. Additionally, they are a common Halloween costume that people like to dress up as. For an in-depth journey on the history of scarecrows, information can be found here.