• The last day for for seniors is Thursday, May 23 2024.
  • There is a two hour early dismissal on the 24th for Memorial Day.
  • Graduation takes place on May 30th at 7:00 PM at Stanley Fowler Auditorium.
  • The last day of school is May 30th. Students are dismissed at 10 AM.
  • Close out all obligations before the last day of school: cafeteria, library, computer, and textbooks!
  • The first day of school for the 2024-2025 school year is August 21, 2024.

Leap Year

(Photo Credit via Flickr)

The concept of leap year dates back to ancient times, with the leap year being a year that occurs every four years and is a calendar year that contains an additional day compared to a common year, February 29th, making it 366 days instead of the usual 365. The purpose of adding this extra day is to keep our calendar in sync with the Earth’s orbit around the sun. Without leap years, our calendar would gradually fall out of alignment, causing seasonal changes to shift over time.

Egyptians were among the first to recognize the need for an extra day in the calendar. However, it wasn´t until the time of Julius Caesar that the modern leap year system was established. In 45 BCE, he introduced the Julian calendar, which included a leap year every four years. This system was later refined by Pope Gregory in 1582, resulting in the Gregorian calendar that we use today.

Additionally, leap year has become associated with various customs and traditions. Leap year babies, those born on February 29, often celebrate their birthdays on either February 28th or March 1st in non-leap years. This is unique and exciting for the lives of those born on this special day.