• The last day for for seniors is Thursday, May 23 2024.
  • There is a two hour early dismissal on the 24th for Memorial Day.
  • Graduation takes place on May 30th at 7:00 PM at Stanley Fowler Auditorium.
  • The last day of school is May 30th. Students are dismissed at 10 AM.
  • Close out all obligations before the last day of school: cafeteria, library, computer, and textbooks!
  • The first day of school for the 2024-2025 school year is August 21, 2024.

Ancient Urban Complex Found in The Ecuadorian Amazon

A. Dorison, S. Rostain
(Photo Credit via sciencenews.org)

In a groundbreaking discovery, scientists have revealed the Amazon’s earliest and largest farm-based city-like settlements nestled high in the foothills of the Ecuadorian Andes.

Airborne laser scans have revealed a complex ancient civilization in the Amazon, challenging prior views. Researchers utilized lidar technology, which has been crucial in uncovering hidden settlements beneath dense jungles over the last decade. Until 2015, archaeologists excavated mounds in the Upano Valley without systematic imaging. Subsequent lidar scans covered 600 square kilometers, unveiling a network of 6,000 mounds forming 15 settlements connected by intricate roads. Dated from around 500 B.C., the area thrived for 2,000 years, offering fresh insights into ancient urban planning and community life.

The discovery not only sheds light on the ancient landscape but also offers a glimpse into the lives of the people who once inhabited the region. After Europeans’ conquest in the 1500s, Indigenous populations faced near-extinction due to diseases. The Amazon, often viewed as a pristine tropical forest, is now recognized as an abandoned garden that was home to thriving civilizations. For more information about this, check out the original article here.